On Tuesday the Italian Song Festival started its 70th edition with the first live show from Sanremo. Over the course of this week, and under the artistic direction of the popular Italian presenter Amadeus, 24 acts will perform their songs live from the Ariston Theatre aiming to become the winner of ‘Sanremo 2020’.
In the first of the five live shows taking place in Sanremo from the 4 to the 8 of February 2020, the two annual competitions got started, one for the newcomers (Nuove Proposte) and one for the established artists (Big).
According to the rules of Sanremo 2020, “the winning artist of the ‘Big’ section will participate, representing Italy, in Eurovision Song Contest 2020, at the request of RAI (the Italian broadcaster)”. From a total of 24, these were today’s 12 ‘Big’ acts in competition:
- Irene Grandi – Finalmente Io (4th)
- Marco Masini – Il Confronto (5th)
- Rita Pavone – Niente (Resilienza 74) (10th)
- Achille Lauro – Me Ne Frego (9th)
- Diodato – Fai Rumore (3rd)
- Le Vibrazioni – Dov’è (1st)
- Anastasio – Rosso Di Rabbia (8th)
- Elodie – Andromeda (2nd)
- Bugo e Morgan – Sincero (12th)
- Alberto Urso – Il Sole Ad Est (6th)
- Riki – Lo Sappiamo Entrambi (11th)
- Raphael Gualazzi – Carioca (7th)
In the first show a demographic jury were in charge of judging the songs and provided the preliminary ranking (above, in brackets). In the final on Saturday the demographic jury will only account for 1/3 of the total result.
In the newcomers category the first 4 contestants, out of 8, battled in duels to get a spot in the semifinal on Thursday. Today’s winners were Tecla and Leo Gassmann. Among the invited guests, Albano & Romina Power who represented Italy twice at the Eurovision Song Contest, in 1976 and in 1985.