By Dom Serafini
Firemen at the single Engine Company 44 were delighted to receive the Panettone and Pandoro “Giorgione” from the city of Ravenna, Italy. The Firehouse of Engine 44, built in 1881, is one of New York City’s oldest fire stations, and is located on East 75 Street.
The “Giorgione” Pandoro and Panettone, typical Italian sweet bread loaves for the Christmas holidays, are made with 100% Italian wheat. All other ingredients are also from Italy. Indeed, the “Giorgione” is the first entirely all Italian-made product of its kinds.
The name “Giorgione” comes from the type of soft wheat developed by the researches at the Italian Seeds Society of Bologna, obtained with natural crossings and without the use of genetically modified organisms.
The difference between Panettone and Pandoro is that the former contains raisins and candied fruits. Both are cupola-shaped, but while Panettone originated in Milan in 1900, the Pandoro is from the city of Verona in the Veneto region and dates back from the 18th century. In the Venetian dialect, “Pandoro (originally pan d’oro) means golden bread. The English translation for “Panettone” is a large bread loaf. To receive the gifts from “Giorgione” was Engine 44 station captain (center), pictured below with two of his firemen.