Was speaking with Maria and Antonio Sedola this afternoon, and learned that this week is their sixty fifth wedding anniversary. Thought a few lines in the newspaper would be appropriate. Antonio was Consular Correspondent in the mid-island area for forty years, before suggesting that I replace him. During the forty years of service for the Italian government, Maria and Antonio hosted many Consul Generals in their home, providing lodging and many wonderful meals. They would also take the time to give Consular dignitaries a tour of Nanaimo, and of course provide a detailed history of Nanaimo and the early years when so many Italian immigrants came to make a better life for their families. Maria and Tony were not unaccustomed to hosting people, as they spent many years operating the Balmoral Cafe and Restaurant. They also worked with California contacts to bring in trailers of grapes for all the Italians that wanted a few pounds of grapes to make their annual supply of wine. (Franco Sartor)
Buon anniversario Maria e Antonio!
- Thousands march in Hong Kong as government urges calm
- Cyprus sinks cargo ship to make artificial reef
- Russia to learn its fate on potential Olympic ban on Monday
- New Zealand's South Island braces for wild weather
- UK's Johnson dodges question over post-election resignation
- French activists demand stronger action on climate